1. Which of these assertions about Peter is expressly made or implied in the New Testament?
F. He eventually became a bishop (pastor) in the city of Rome
S. His apostleship was directed primarily to the Gentiles
H. His apostleship was directed primarily to "the circumcized" (people of Jewish descent)
R. His authority was greater than that of the other apostles
M. He received Mary the mother of Jesus as a member of his household after Christ's ascension to Heaven
N. None of the above
2. Pick the one that is NOT in the Bible:
T. Peter denied Christ three times.
R. Peter attempted to walk on water three times.
I. Three times, Christ asked Peter, "Do you love Me?"
O. Three times, Peter had a vision of a sheet let down from heaven containing unclean animals.
3. T or F: Although the Bible does not provide his full geneology, it does give us Peter's Israelite tribe, namely Levi.
4. Complete the verse: "…Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, 'You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas' (which is translated, a )."
5. Which statement was made by Peter in his sermon on the day of Pentecost?
S. "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you."
E. "...why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?"
R. "Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: 'This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me'."
M. "Go to this people and say: 'Hearing you will hear, and shall not understand; and seeing you will see, and not perceive...' "
O. "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day."
N. "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews?"
6. Complete the verse: (Jesus) "turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, ! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of , but the things of ." (Each blank is one word, and they must appear in the order given in the text.)
7. The ancient writing called The Gospel According to Peter was:
A. an ancient name for the The Gospel According to Mark.
P. removed from the Bible by some leaders of the Protestant Reformation.
O. removed from the Bible by Pope Pius I.
C. not really written by Peter.
8. T or F: Peter is the human author of the Book of the Acts of the Apostles.
9. Which statement does NOT paraphrase or allude to a Biblical text?
G. Some men who were looking for Peter stood at the gate of the house of a man who was also named Simon.
R. "I'm Cephas…but you don't have to call me that. You can call me Rock Johnson."
A. As an apostle, Peter is foundational to the Church, Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone of that foundation.
P. Peter now stands at the gate of Heaven to permit or deny entrance to those who depart this life.
H. One of the visionary foundations of the heavenly Jerusalem has Peter's name on it.
E. Peter stood at the gate of a house after he was miraculously released from prison.
S. R and P
10. Complete this verse containing words that Christ spoke to Peter: "Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were , you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are , you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish." (Each blank is one word.)
11. Peter plus which four men were with Christ when He was transfigured on the mountain?
C. John, Job, Moses, Matthew
H. Elijah, Noah, James, Andrew
N. Moses, John, Elijah, James
G. Noah, Elisha, Bartholomew, Matthew
E. Job, David, Andrew, Thomas
D. Aaron, Isaiah, Philip, and Judas (not Iscariot)
12. Without looking at your Bible, choose which one is a dominant subject of Peter's second general epistle (2 Peter).
E. The Day of Pentecost
P. The Love of Money
I. Christ's Arrest
S. Mitres and Sceptres
T. False Teaching
L. The Tower of Babel
13. T or F: Peter and his brother were nicknamed "the sons of thunder" by Jesus.
14. Jesus healed this relative of Peter of a fever:
15. Peter raised this woman from the dead:
16. Cornelius the Gentile centurion sent for Peter while Peter was visiting the city of .
17. When Peter along with John healed a man in the temple, the people rushed to the apostles, amazed and marveling. Peter's speech to them shows:
A. His shock that the healing had actually worked
P. His humility and desire to see God receive all the glory.
S. That he was tempted to let the people exalt him as a god.
T. His recognition that Christians were a new race of supermen.
L. His expectation that miraculous healings would be the norm throughout the New Covenant age.
18. Is your last complete the verse question: "Simon Peter, a and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ."
19. Which word or term is used in relation to Peter in the New Testament:
20. T or F: Unlike the ministry of John the baptizer, the ministry of Peter was NOT specifically foretold by the Old Testament prophets.
21. Choose the most Biblically sound definition of the word disciple.
W. One of the twelve men who travelled with and helped Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry.
A. Any one of the followers of Jesus during His earthly ministry including the twelve but not limited to them.
L. A person who wants a little more substance to their religion.
K. Someone who trusts in Jesus and faithfully follows His instruction.
22. Choose the most Biblically sound definition of the word apostle.
A. One of twelve men who travelled with and helped Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry.
B. Someone sent with a special mission.
C. One of the eleven faithful companions of Jesus who remained after Judas betrayed Him, or Saul of Tarsus who became known as Paul.
D. The highest church office.
23. Peter's repudiation of his Master when Christ was arrested and detained shows us that:
D. Like Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, and others, great saints are capable of great sins.
E. If we think we stand, we should "take heed lest we fall".
N. The truth of Proverbs 29:25.
Y. None of the above.
24. What character traits or qualities do you see in Peter, through what we read of him in the Bible, that likely made him a good choice for the ministry to which God assigned him?
W. He was bold, and without guile like Nathaniel.
H. He was of the right economic class and the right ethnic background.
Y. None. Like Abraham, Peter and his fellow apostles were not chosen by God because of anything good He saw in them.
M. He was already very devout and spiritually minded.
E. His business acumen and saavy, as evidenced by his successful fishing ventures.
25. For what reason, in your opinion, did Peter began to sink after successfully walking on water?
F. Because Christ wanted to baptize him in an innovative way.
L. It was a punishment for his audacity in asking to do it in the first place.
O. Because the submarine on which he was standing suddenly took off.
A. The man simply lost his balance, there was no deeper spiritual reason.
T. Because a dolphin bumped into him.
E. As a result of the expiration of his fisherman's license.
R. Because he took his eyes off of Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith unto Whom we all ever are to be looking.