1. Complete the verse: "The words of Amos, who was among the sheepbreeders of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash, king of Israel, two years before the .
2. The statement, "...if there is calamity in a city, will not the LORD have done it?" is found in this Bible book:
3. To illustrate the truth that without repentance every human soul will perish, Jesus told His hearers about:
R. How He Himself had trusted Judas, whose heart slowly became hardened toward Jesus.
E. Some people who beat on the door of Noah's ark as the Flood began.
P. The destruction of the house of king Ahab.
N. Eighteen people who were killed when a tower fell on them.
T. The siege of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel's day.
4. T or F: The merchant caravan carrying Joseph into slavery in Egypt suffered the equivalent of a modern train wreck en route.
5. Which type of event does NOT occur in Scripture?
A. City-wide fire
C. Severe hailstorm
E. B and D
F. None of the above
6. In one of his inspired psalms, David says to God, "when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the that is higher than I."
7."Son of man, behold, I am about to take the delight of your eyes away from you at a stroke; yet you shall not mourn or weep, nor shall your tears run down."
With the words above, God told the prophet Ezekiel that he was about to experience what sudden, personal catastrophe?
G. Witnessing the destruction of the temple
O. The death of his only son
N. The seizure of his property by the wicked king of Israel
E. The death of his wife
8. The hand of the LORD brought great disaster against this Philistine city when its citizens captured the ark of the covenant:
9. Without looking at your Bible, complete the first statement of the book of Ruth: "Now it came to pass, in the days when the ruled, that there was a in the land." (Each blank is one word.)
10. Ultimate disaster awaits the impenitent wicked. For it is written in God's holy word that "...these shall be punished with destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power."
11. T or F: At least two deadly volcanic eruptions are recorded in the Bible.
12. According to Psalm 106, when the ancient people of Israel provoked God with their rebelliousness, He sent a disastrous among them which was stopped when "stood up and intervened." (Each blank is one word.)
13. Choose the word or phrase that appears in the Bible:
T. Good luck
C. Bad luck
Y. None of the above
14. Jesus named these two apostles after a common meteorological event which is sometimes a harbinger of disaster:
15. T or F: The Bible records the catastrophic loss of a fleet of ships.
16. Here's the "cream puff" question of this quiz. The quite extraordinary disaster that overtook Lot's wife was that she:
F. was abducted by extraterrestrials.
A. turned into a frog.
C. vanished into thin air.
I. was swallowed by a great fish, but unlike Jonah was never seen again.
L. turned into a pillar of salt.
E. turned into a big lump of sugar.
17. When he said of God, "…and He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster…" Daniel was referring to:
P. The siege, sacking, and destruction of Jerusalem, 586 B.C.
I. The Flood of Noah's day
C. The long reign of Manasseh, one of Judah's most wicked kings.
K. The siege, sacking, and destruction of Samaria, 722 B.C.
18. T or F: One of the accomplishments of Joseph (the son of Jacob) as regent of ancient Egypt under pharaoh was the creation of a disaster response force.
19. According to the Bible, utter and sudden disaster came upon various haters of God and persecuters of His people. Which of the following is NOT in the Bible?
G. The angel of the LORD killed 185,000 troops of an enemy king.
U. Another king saw his entire army drown.
A. Yet another king was eaten by worms.
R. Still another persecuting king with all his family were swallowed up by the earth.
D. A man who made a gallows on which to hang a servant of God was hung on it himself.
S. A group of schemers were overpowered and crushed by lions.
20. An incredibly devastating series of catastrophes came upon Job. Which statement about them is NOT true?
E. They were caused by the devil.
N. God gave the devil permission to bring them about.
D. They were very real and very painful.
U. They reveal the capricious side of God.
R. They happened to someone whom God Himself described as "blameless and upright."
S. God never gave Job a reason why they occured.
21. Which one did NOT happen to Job in one day?
T. He was struck with painful boils all over his body.
R. He was robbed of all of his camels, donkeys, and oxen.
I. All ten of his children died unexpectedly as the result of a tornado or similar storm.
E. Some of his servants were murdered.
D. Fire fell from heaven and burned up all his sheep.
22. To the statement, "The great Flood of Noah's day was the greatest natural catastrophe that ever occurred", you would reply:
E. The Bible's version is only one flood myth among many such ancient myths. There never was such a flood.
A. It had nothing to do with "nature", it was a miraculous act of God.
U. The realm commonly called nature is part of God's creation. The great Flood is that realm's greatest catastrophe to date, and shows God's sovereignty over His creation.
X. The meteor that struck planet Earth and killed all the dinosaurs was a greater natural catastrophe.
23. Paul the apostle wrote that he was involved in a shipwreck:
24. Question 2 asked you to locate in Scripture the statement, "...if there is calamity in a city, will not the LORD have done it?" This question asks you to choose the most Biblical theological comment on the statement:
A. God always has a good objective in mind, but sometimes there is necessary collateral damage.
M. There can be no collateral damage for a plan executed by infinite wisdom. God is sometimes merciful and sometimes unmerciful.
E. God is always perfectly righteous in whatever He does, although His providential dealings are often inscrutable to our understanding.
N. Infinite wisdom does not mean God is incapable of error, but that He is always able to correct any errors.
25. When fire and brimstone fell upon Sodom and Gomorrah:
B. It was a divine judgment, therefore not in the same category as natural disasters.
U. A catastrophic disaster occurred, which some have interpreted as a divine judgment.
R. It was of a miraculous nature, therefore not in the same category as natural disasters.
N. It was a divine judgment, it was miraculous, and it was a disastrous catastrophe.